DC Comics returns for their second annual collection of heroes, villains, and everyone in between celebrating all things Pride related in the graphic novel “DC Pride 2022”.
DC’s 2022 celebration kicks off with more stories, more characters, and more pride than ever before! The DC Pride 2022 creative teams, and the characters they’re developing stories for, include:
• Alysia Yeoh and Batgirl by Jadzia Axelrod and Lynne Yoshii
• Aquaman (Jackson Hyde) by Alyssa Wong and W. Scott Forbes
• Green Lantern (Jo Mullein) by Tini Howard and Evan Cagle
• Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy by Dani Fernandez and Zoe Thorogood
• The Ray by Greg Lockard and Giulio Macaione
• Superman (Jon Kent) by Devin Grayson and Nick Robles
• Tim Drake by Travis G. Moore
• A Multiversity: Teen Justice kickoff story spotlighting Kid Quick and written by the miniseries team, Danny Lore and Ivan Cohen!
• An introduction by activist, actress, and real-life superhero Nicole Maines that will include a teaser for her upcoming Dreamer project!
• Pinups by P. Craig Russell, J.J. Kirby, and more!
Just because the month of June has come and gone doesn’t mean all things Pride must come to an end. Pride is a year-long celebration here on Author Anthony Avina’s Blog, and I had to share this special review of DC’s Pride Anthology. The wonderful array of varying artwork and designs reflected the beautiful collection of writers who brought these powerful and shining heroes to life on the pages of this collection. The inclusion of newly revealed heroes like Jonathan Kent’s Superman and Tim Drake’s Robin as LGBTQ+ heroes was a welcome addition to the roster of characters this collection housed. I loved the action and connectivity to the larger DC Universe within these stories as well.
I absolutely adored the sheer volume of representation these stories and characters had. From Asexual and Bisexual heroes sharing what it means to truly be themselves, to powerful Trans heroes expressing the ever-expansive understanding our culture is starting to understand of the gender identities we all have, this collection had it all. As a special note, I was absolutely floored by actress, activist, and newly revealed writer Nicole Maines with her powerful introduction to this year’s Pride anthology. I’ve been a fan of hers since her introduction to Supergirl as Dreamer, and her honesty, strength, beauty, and sheer talent all shined through so brightly in this collection’s introduction. She is such an inspiration and I cannot wait to read Dreamer’s upcoming series.
Heartfelt, emotional, and captivating, DC Comic’s “DC Pride 2022” is a must-read LGBTQ+ driven comic book anthology and one of my top reads of 2022. The bright and inspiring artwork blended well with the uplifting, romantic, and heartening stories the authors told through these amazing characters across the DC Multiverse and beyond. If you haven’t yet, be sure to grab your copy today!